Pope "will take part in the Divine Liturgy" of EP

DIscussion and News concerning Orthodox Churches in communion with those who have fallen into the heresies of Ecumenism, Renovationism, Sergianism, and Modernism, or those Traditional Orthodox Churches who are now involved with Name-Worshiping, or vagante jurisdictions. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Bartholomew I's Article: "That They May All Be One"

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Bartholomew I's Article: "That They May All Be One"
Written on the Occasion of Benedict XVI's Journey to Turkey

VATICAN CITY, NOV. 29, 2006 (Zenit) - Here is a translation of an article, signed by Bartholomew I, ecumenical patriarch of Constantinople, which appeared on the front page of the Nov. 27-28 Italian edition of L'Osservatore Romano.

The Orthodox patriarch's article was entitled "That They May All Be One."

With great joy, we welcome the visit of our beloved brother in Christ, His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI, to our country and to the See of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Given that this is the first official visit of His Holiness Benedict XVI to the Church of Constantinople since his election, it is a historic moment, as were the visits of his predecessors, of venerated memory, Pope Paul VI in 1967 and Pope John Paul II in 1979.

It is also a pilgrimage to the Holy Places where the Apostle Andrew took the Holy Gospel and performed many signs, and where thousands of martyrs and confessors gave witness of their faith. Here in this city and in this ancient and historical land, Christianity has been alive for 2,000 years and has survived despite all the difficulties, challenges and divisions. Indeed, it is a joy and at the same time a blessing that the two leaders of the Church should meet as Christian brothers and servants of our Lord, as the Psalm states: "Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!" (Psalm 133:1). We very much appreciate this visit of His Holiness Benedict XVI to our Church, which is an expression of the existing good relations between our two ancient Churches. It also shows our profound conviction and willingness to intensify our theological dialogue of love, truth and mutual respect through the Joint International Theological Commission.

With honor and dignity, the Ecumenical Patriarchate bears the burden of the People of God. We respond to the challenges of our time and to the appeals of many people who live in need, poverty, danger and injustice. Moreover, we are committed to opposing all forms of violence, for the peaceful coexistence of all religious communities in our country. Having lived for centuries in a predominantly Muslim environment, our Holy Church has always promoted dialogue between peoples and encouraged them to live together in peace, in harmony and in reconciliation, disregarding differences of race, religion and culture.

We consider this visit an opportunity to manifest our fraternal love to His Holiness Benedict XVI and to renew our commitment to continue on our common spiritual path toward the unity of the Church. Hoping with all our heart that His Holiness' visit will be beautiful and pleasant, we express to him our cordial welcome to our country, to our city and to our Church, and we pray fervently that the One and Triune God will continue to guide us in all that we do to fulfill his commandment: "That they may all be one" (John 17:21).

Last edited by 尼古拉前执事 on Thu 30 November 2006 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
尼古拉前执事
Archon

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Orthodox Patriarch's Welcome Address to Pope
"We Are Equally Accountable for the Steps Along the Journey"

ISTANBUL, Turkey, NOV. 29, 2006 (Zenit).-
Here is the welcome address delivered by His Holiness, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, to His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI, after the prayer service at the Patriarchal Cathedral of St. George.

Your Holiness, beloved Brother in the Lord,

It is with sentiments of sincere joy and satisfaction that we welcome you to the sacred and historical city of Istanbul.

This is a city that has known a treasured heritage for the growth of the Church through the ages. It is here that St. Andrew, the "first-called" of the Apostles founded the local Church of Byzantium and installed St. Stachys as its first bishop. It is here that the Emperor and "equal-to-the-Apostles," St. Constantine the Great, established the New Rome. It is here that the Great Councils of the early Church convened to formulate the Symbol of Faith. It is here that martyrs and saints, bishops and monks, theologians and teachers, together with a "cloud of witnesses" confessed what the prophets saw, what the apostles taught, what the Church received, what the teachers formulated in doctrine, what the world understood, what grace has shone, namely … the truth that was received, the faith of the fathers. This is the faith of the Orthodox. This faith has established the universe.

So it is with open embrace that we welcome you on the blessed occasion of your first visit to the City, just as our predecessors, Ecumenical Patriarchs Athenagoras and Demetrios, had welcomed your predecessors, Popes Paul VI and John Paul II. These venerable men of the Church sensed the inestimable value and urgent need alike of such encounters in the process of reconciliation through a dialogue of love and truth.

Therefore, we are, both of us, as their successors and as successors to the Thrones of Rome and New Rome equally accountable for the steps — just, of course, as we are for any missteps — along the journey and in our struggle to obey the command of our Lord, that His disciples "may be one."

It was in this spirit that, by the grace of God, we visited repeatedly Rome and two years ago in order to accompany the relics of Saints Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom, formerly Archbishops of this City, whose sacred remains were generously returned to this Patriarchal Cathedral by the late Pope. It was in this spirit, too, that we traveled to Rome only months later to attend the funeral of Pope John Paul.

We are deeply grateful to God that Your Holiness has taken similar steps today in the same spirit. We offer thanks to God in doxology and express thanks also to Your Holiness in fraternal love.

Beloved Brother, welcome. "Blessed is he that comes in the name of the Lord."

"Blessed is the Name of the Lord now and forevermore."

[Translation issued by the Ecumenical Patriarchate]

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Pope of Rome's Address to Patriarch Bartholomew I

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Pope's Address to Patriarch Bartholomew I
"Great Joy to Be Among You, My Brothers in Christ"

ISTANBUL, Turkey, NOV. 29, 2006 (Zenit.org).-
Here is the address Benedict XVI delivered today to Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I during their prayer together in the Patriarchal Church of St. George in the Phanar, Istanbul.

"Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity" (Ps 133:1)

Your Holiness,

I am deeply grateful for the fraternal welcome extended to me by you personally, and by the Holy Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. I will treasure its memory forever. I thank the Lord for the grace of this encounter, so filled with authentic goodwill and ecclesial significance.

It gives me great joy to be among you, my brothers in Christ, in this Cathedral Church, as we pray together to the Lord and call to mind the momentous events that have sustained our commitment to work for the full unity of Catholics and Orthodox. I wish above all to recall the courageous decision to remove the memory of the anathemas of 1054. The joint declaration of Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras, written in a spirit of rediscovered love, was solemnly read in a celebration held simultaneously in Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome and in this Patriarchal Cathedral. The Tomos of the Patriarch was based on the Johannine profession of faith: "Ho Theós agapé estin" (1 Jn 4:9), Deus caritas est! In perfect agreement, Pope Paul VI chose to begin his own Brief with the Pauline exhortation: "Ambulate in dilectione" (Eph 5:2), "Walk in love." It is on this foundation of mutual love that new relations between the Churches of Rome and Constantinople have developed.

Signs of this love have been evident in numerous declarations of shared commitment and many meaningful gestures. Both Pope Paul VI and Pope John Paul II were warmly received as visitors in this Church of Saint George, and joined respectively with Patriarchs Athenagoras I and Dimitrios I in strengthening the impetus towards mutual understanding and the quest of full unity. May their names be honored and blessed!

I also rejoice to be in this land so closely connected to the Christian faith, where many Churches flourished in ancient times. I think of Saint Peter's exhortations to the early Christian communities "in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia" (1 Pet 1:1), and the rich harvest of martyrs, theologians, pastors, monastics, and holy men and women which those Churches brought forth over the centuries.

I likewise recall the outstanding saints and pastors who have watched over the See of Constantinople, among them Saint Gregory of Nazianzus and Saint John Chrysostom, whom the West also honors as Doctors of the Church. Their relics rest in the Basilica of Saint Peter in the Vatican, and a part of them were given to Your Holiness as a sign of communion by the late Pope John Paul II for veneration in this very Cathedral. Truly, they are worthy intercessors for us before the Lord.

In this part of the Eastern world were also held the seven Ecumenical Councils which Orthodox and Catholics alike acknowledge as authoritative for the faith and discipline of the Church. They are enduring milestones and guides along our path towards full unity.

I conclude by expressing once more my joy to be with you. May this meeting strengthen our mutual affection and renew our common commitment to persevere on the journey leading to reconciliation and the peace of the Churches.

I greet you in the love of Christ. May the Lord be always with you.

[Text issued by the Holy See]

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Interview and Joint Declaration of the Pope & EP

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Interview and Joint Declaration of the Pope Paul VI and the Patriarch of Constantinople Atenágoras I
Jerusalem - Interview of January 5, 1964

Code: Select all

The Patriarch begins the interview in English.

The Pope says: I understand English but I do not speak it fluently

Athenágoras: Then we can speak in French.

Pablo VI: That will be easier for me... I want to express all my joy, my excitement. Truly I think that this is a moment we live in the presence of God.

A: I repeat, in the presence of God.

P: I do not have another thought than that of speaking with God while I speak with you. I am very well, your Holiness.

A: .... deeply touched. Tears come to my eyes.

P: And since it is truly a moment of God, one must live it with full intensity, complete truth, with a total desire to continue ahead (Athenágoras: .... on the path of God).

P:) Does your Holiness have any idea, any particular desire, to which I can correspond?

A: We have the same desire...

P: Thus it is, we are two roads that perhaps are going to meet.

A: We have the same desire. As soon as I read in the newspapers that you had decided to visit this country, immediately it occurred to me that we would meet here and I was sure I would receive, from your Holiness the answer. ... (Pablo VI: affirmative) affirmative, since I trust in your Holiness. I see it, I see it, without wanting to flatter you, in the writings of the apostles, I see it in the Letters of Saint Paul, of whom you take your name, I see it here, yes I see it.

P: I speak to you as a brother: know that I have the same confidence in you. I think that Providence chose you to continue this history

A: I think that the Providence chose you to open the road of your predecessor.

P: Providence chose us so that we can understand it.

A: Centuries were expecting this day, this great day... what a joy... in this small room. What joy there was in the Sepulchre, what joy there was in Golgotha, what joy on the road you walked yesterday. [the Way of the Cross]

P: I am in a way brimming with thoughts that will take time to settle themselves (smile) and to interpret this wealth of emotions I have in my spirit. But I want to take advantage of this moment to express the absolute loyalty with which I will always treat you with.

A: I feel the same way.

P: Never will I hide the truth from you.

A: I will always trust you.

P: I have not a single desire to disappoint you, to abuse your good will. I do not desire any other thing than to follow the way of God.

A: I have absolute confidence in Your Holiness. Absolute, absolute. I will always have confidence, I will always be on your side.

P: Not to make myself unworthy of it, now Your Holiness should know that I will pray every day for the Church and for the intentions that we have in common for her sake.

A: Given that we have this great moment, being together. Walking together. ... Seeing Your Holiness, to your Great Holiness sent by God, yes, the Bighearted Pope. Do you know how I call you? megalo-kardos, the Bighearted Pope.

P: We are small instruments

A: It is necessary to see things this way.

P: The smaller we are, better instruments we become, that is to say that the action of God may prevail (Athenágoras: prevail) and be the guide of all our actions. For my part, I live in docility, in the desire to be more obedient to the will of God, and to be toward you. Holiness, toward your brothers, toward your envirionment, the most comprehensive.

A: I believe it, even without asking, I believe it.

P: I know that it is difficult, I know that there are difficulties, that there is a psychology but I also know... (Athenágoras: on both sides), that there is a great righteousness and a desire to love God, to serve the cause of Jesus. It is in this that I trust.

A: In this I have confidence, together, together. ...

P: I do not know if this is the moment, but what is lacking, is to study (Athenágoras: to study) together or to appoint someone.

A: Yes, from both sides

P: I would like to know what are your Holiness’ thoughts, those of your Church regarding the constitution of the Church. It is the first step.

A: We will follow your opinions.

P: I will tell you what I believe to be the right thing, derived from the Gospel and from the will of God and authentic tradition. I will tell you if there are points that do not coincide with your idea of the constitution of the Church. ...

A: The same on my part.

P: We will discuss, we will seek to find the truth.

A: The same from our side and I am sure that we will always be together.

P: I hope, I think, that perhaps it will be easier than what we think. There are two or three points of doctrine in which we have evolved as we have progressed in their study that I would like to explain – if you consider it pertinent – to explain to your theologians, without putting in anything artificial nor accidental but plainly what we believe, the authentic thought (Athenágoras: in the love of Jesus). And another thing that seems secondary but that has its importance: everything refered to discipline, honor, prerogatives, I am more than willing to listen to what your Holiness believes is best.

A: The same on my part

P: No question of prestige, of supremacy besides the one that has been set by Christ; but regarding honors, privileges, nothing of that. Let’s see what Christ asks us and let each one of us take position but not with human parameters of priority, compliments, advantages, but of service.

A: How dear you are to me in the deepest part of my heart...!

Joint Declaration from Pope Paul VI and Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras I.
December 7, 1965

The declaration was read out on December 7, 1965 simultaneously at a public meeting of the Second Vatican Council in Rome and at a special ceremony in Istanbul. It addressed an exchange of excommunications between prominent ecclesiastics in the Roman see and the Patriarchate of Constantinople, commonly known as theGreat Schism of 1054. It did not end the schism but showed a desire for greater reconciliation between the two churches, represented by Pope Paul VI and Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras I.

1. Grateful to God, who mercifully favored them with a fraternal meeting at those holy places where the mystery of salvation was accomplished through the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and where the Church was born through the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I have not lost sight of the determination each then felt to omit nothing thereafter which charity might inspire and which could facilitate the development of the fraternal relations thus taken up between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church of Constantinople. They are persuaded that in acting this way, they are responding to the call of that divine grace which today is leading the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, as well as all Christians, to overcome their differences in order to be again "one" as the Lord Jesus asked of His Father for them.

2. Among the obstacles along the road of the development of these fraternal relations of confidence and esteem, there is the memory of the decisions, actions and painful incidents which in 1054 resulted in the sentence of excommunication leveled against the Patriarch Michael Cerularius and two other persons by the legate of the Roman See under the leadership of Cardinal Humbertus, legates who then became the object of a similar sentence pronounced by the patriarch and the Synod of Constantinople.

3. One cannot pretend that these events were not what they were during this very troubled period of history. Today, however, they have been judged more fairly and serenely. Thus it is important to recognize the excesses which accompanied them and later led to consequences which, insofar as we can judge, went much further than their authors had intended and foreseen. They had directed their censures against the persons concerned and not the Churches. These censures were not intended to break ecclesiastical communion between the Sees of Rome and Constantinople.

4. Since they are certain that they express the common desire for justice and the unanimous sentiment of charity which moves the faithful, and since they recall the command of the Lord: "If you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brethren has something against you, leave your gift before the altar and go first be reconciled to your brother" (Mt. 5.23-24), Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I with his synod, in common agreement, declare that:

A. They regret the offensive words, the reproaches without foundation, and the reprehensible gestures which, on both sides, have marked or accompanied the sad events of this period.

B. They likewise regret and remove both from memory and from the midst of the Church the sentences of excommunication which followed these events, the memory of which has influenced actions up to our day and has hindered closer relations in charity; and they commit these excommunications to oblivion.

C. Finally, they deplore the preceding and later vexing events which, under the influence of various factors--among which, lack of understanding and mutual trust--eventually led to the effective rupture of ecclesiastical communion.

5. Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I with his Synod realize that this gesture of justice and mutual pardon is not sufficient to end both old and more recent differences between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church.

Through the action of the Holy Spirit those differences will be overcome through cleansing of hearts, through regret for historical wrongs, and through an efficacious determination to arrive at a common understanding and expression of the faith of the Apostles and its demands.

They hope, nevertheless, that this act will be pleasing to God, who is prompt to pardon us when we pardon each other. They hope that the whole Christian world, especially the entire Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church will appreciate this gesture as an expression of a sincere desire shared in common for reconciliation, and as an invitation to follow out in a spirit of trust, esteem and mutual charity the dialogue which, with Gods help, will lead to living together again, for the greater good of souls and the coming of the kingdom of God, in that full communion of faith, fraternal accord and sacramental life which existed among them during the first thousand years of the life of the Church.
尼古拉前执事
Archon

Joint Declaration signed by Pope of Rome and EP

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

The Joint Declaration signed by John Paul II
and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople

"Be watchful, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love" (1 Corinthians 16:13-14).

1. In the spirit of faith in Christ and of the reciprocal charity that unites us, we thank God for the gift of this our new meeting, which takes place on the feast of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, evidencing our firm resolve to continue on the path toward full communion between us in Christ.

2. Many are the positive steps that have characterized this common path, especially beginning with the historical event that we recall today: the embrace between Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I in Jerusalem, on the Mount of Olives, on January 5-6 of 1964. Today, we, their Successors, meet again together to commemorate worthily before God, in fidelity to the memory and the original intentions, that blessed meeting, now part of the history of the Church.

3. The embrace of our respective Predecessors of venerated memory in Jerusalem expressed visibly a hope present in the heart of everyone, as the Statement referred: "With our eyes turned to Christ, archetype and author, with the Father, of unity and peace, they pray to God that this meeting be the sign and prelude of things to come for the glory of God and the illumination of his faithful people. After so many centuries of silence, they have now met with the desire to fulfill the will of the Lord and to proclaim the ancient truth of his Gospel entrusted to the Church."1

4. Unity and Peace! The hope lit by that historical meeting has illuminated the path of these last decades. Aware that the Christian world has been suffering for centuries the tragedy of separation, our Predecessors and we ourselves have with perseverance continued the "dialogue of charity," with our gaze turned to that luminous and blessed day in which it will be possible to commune at the same chalice of the holy Body and the precious Blood of the Lord.2 The many ecclesial events, which have characterized the last forty years, have given foundation and consistency to the commitment of fraternal charity: a charity that, bearing lessons of the past, will be ready to pardon, incline to believe more readily in the good than in the evil, that will attempt first of all to conform itself to the Divine Redeemer, and to allow itself to be drawn and transformed by Him.3

5. I thank the Lord for the exemplary gestures of reciprocal charity, of participation and sharing, which he has given us to fulfill, among which it is proper to recall the visit of the Pope to Ecumenical Patriarch Dimitrios in 1979, when, in the See of Fanar, the creation of the "International Mixed Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church in their ensemble" was announced, a further step to support the "dialogue of charity," the "dialogue of truth"; the visit of Patriarch Dimitrios to Rome in 1987; our meeting in Rome, on the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul in 1995, when we prayed in St. Peter's, though separating painfully during the celebration of the Eucharistic Liturgy, because it was not yet possible to drink from the same chalice of the Lord. Then, more recently, the meeting in Assisi for the "Day of Prayer for Peace in the World" and the Joint Declaration for the Safeguarding of Creation, signed in 2002.

6. Despite our firm resolve to continue on the path toward full communion, it would have been unrealistic not to expect obstacles of various kinds: doctrinal first of all, but also deriving from the conditioning of a difficult history. Moreover, new problems arose from the profound changes that took place in the European sociopolitical realm, which were not free from consequences in relations between the Christian Churches. With the return to freedom of Christians in Central and Eastern Europe, old fears were reawakened, making dialogue difficult. St. Paul's exhortation to the Corinthians, "May everything be done among you in charity," must still, however, resound within and among us.

7. The "International Mixed Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church in their ensemble," begun with so much hope, has marked the steps in the last years. It can still remain as an ideal instrument to study the ecclesiological and historical problems, which are at the base of our difficulties, and find possible solutions. It is our duty to continue in the decided commitment to reactivate the works as soon as possible. In recognition of the reciprocal initiatives in this connection of the Sees of Rome and of Constantinople, we turn to the Lord so that he will sustain our resolve and convince all of how indispensable it is to continue the "dialogue of truth."

8. Our meeting today in Rome also enables us to address fraternally some problems and misunderstandings that have arisen recently. The long practice of the "dialogue of charity" comes to our aid precisely in these circumstances, so that the difficulties may be addressed with serenity and not slow down and darken the path undertaken toward full communion in Christ.

9. In the face of a world suffering all kinds of divisions and imbalances, today's meeting is an effort to recall in a concrete way and with force the importance that Christians and Churches live among themselves in peace and harmony, to witness concordantly the message of the Gospel in a more credible and convincing way.

10. In the particular context of Europe, on the way toward higher forms of integration and enlargement towards the East of the Continent, let us thank the Lord for this positive development and express the hope that in this new situation collaboration between Catholics and Orthodox will grow. So many are the challenges to be addressed together to contribute to the good of society: to heal with love the wound of terrorism, to infuse a hope of peace, to contribute to cure so many painful conflicts; to restore to the European continent the awareness of its Christian roots; to construct a real dialogue with Islam, because from indifference and reciprocal ignorance only diffidence and even hatred can ensue; to nourish the awareness of the sacredness of human life; to operate so that science will not deny the divine spark that every man receives with the gift of life; to collaborate so that this earth of ours is not disfigured and creation is able to preserve the beauty God has given it; but above all, to proclaim with renewed commitment the evangelical message, showing contemporary man how much the Gospel can help him to find himself and to build a more humane world.

11. Let us pray that the Lord give peace to the Church and the world and that he vivify with the wisdom of his Spirit our path toward full communion, "ut unum in Cristo simus."
尼古拉前执事
Archon

Common Declaration by Pope Benedict, Patriarch Bartholomew

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Common Declaration by Pope Benedict XVI and Patriarch Bartholomew I

“This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!”
(Ps 117:24)

This fraternal encounter which brings us together, Pope Benedict XVI of Rome and Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, is God’s work, and in a certain sense his gift. We give thanks to the Author of all that is good, who allows us once again, in prayer and in dialogue, to express the joy we feel as brothers and to renew our commitment to move towards full communion. This commitment comes from the Lord’s will and from our responsibility as Pastors in the Church of Christ. May our meeting be a sign and an encouragement to us to share the same sentiments and the same attitudes of fraternity, cooperation and communion in charity and truth. The Holy Spirit will help us to prepare the great day of the re-establishment of full unity, whenever and however God wills it. Then we shall truly be able to rejoice and be glad.

1. We have recalled with thankfulness the meetings of our venerable predecessors, blessed by the Lord, who showed the world the urgent need for unity and traced sure paths for attaining it, through dialogue, prayer and the daily life of the Church. Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I went as pilgrims to Jerusalem, to the very place where Jesus Christ died and rose again for the salvation of the world, and they also met again, here in the Phanar and in Rome. They left us a common declaration which retains all its value; it emphasizes that true dialogue in charity must sustain and inspire all relations between individuals and between Churches, that it “must be rooted in a total fidelity to the one Lord Jesus Christ and in mutual respect for their own traditions” (Tomos Agapis, 195). Nor have we forgotten the reciprocal visits of His Holiness Pope John Paul II and His Holiness Dimitrios I. It was during the visit of Pope John Paul II, his first ecumenical visit, that the creation of the Mixed Commission for theological dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church was announced. This has brought together our Churches in the declared aim of re-establishing full communion.

As far as relations between the Church of Rome and the Church of Constantinople are concerned, we cannot fail to recall the solemn ecclesial act effacing the memory of the ancient anathemas which for centuries had a negative effect on our Churches. We have not yet drawn from this act all the positive consequences which can flow from it in our progress towards full unity, to which the mixed Commission is called to make an important contribution. We exhort our faithful to take an active part in this process, through prayer and through significant gestures.

1. At the time of the plenary session of the mixed Commission for theological dialogue, which was recently held in Belgrade through the generous hospitality of the Serbian Orthodox Church, we expressed our profound joy at the resumption of the theological dialogue. This had been interrupted for several years because of various difficulties, but now the Commission was able to work afresh in a spirit of friendship and cooperation. In treating the topic “Conciliarity and Authority in the Church” at local, regional and universal levels, the Commission undertook a phase of study on the ecclesiological and canonical consequences of the sacramental nature of the Church. This will permit us to address some of the principal questions that are still unresolved. We are committed to offer unceasing support, as in the past, to the work entrusted to this Commission and we accompany its members with our prayers.

2. As Pastors, we have first of all reflected on the mission to proclaim the Gospel in today’s world. This mission, “Go, make disciples of all nations” (Mt 28:19), is today more timely and necessary than ever, even in traditionally Christian countries. Moreover, we cannot ignore the increase of secularization, relativism, even nihilism, especially in the Western world. All this calls for a renewed and powerful proclamation of the Gospel, adapted to the cultures of our time. Our traditions represent for us a patrimony which must be continually shared, proposed, and interpreted anew. This is why we must strengthen our cooperation and our common witness before the world.

3. We have viewed positively the process that has led to the formation of the European Union. Those engaged in this great project should not fail to take into consideration all aspects affecting the inalienable rights of the human person, especially religious freedom, a witness and guarantor of respect for all other freedoms. In every step towards unification, minorities must be protected, with their cultural traditions and the distinguishing features of their religion. In Europe, while remaining open to other religions and to their cultural contributions, we must unite our efforts to preserve Christian roots, traditions and values, to ensure respect for history, and thus to contribute to the European culture of the future and to the quality of human relations at every level. In this context, how could we not evoke the very ancient witnesses and the illustrious Christian heritage of the land in which our meeting is taking place, beginning with what the Acts of the Apostles tells us concerning the figure of Saint Paul, Apostle of the Gentiles? In this land, the Gospel message and the ancient cultural tradition met. This link, which has contributed so much to the Christian heritage that we share, remains timely and will bear more fruit in the future for evangelization and for our unity.

4. Our concern extends to those parts of today’s world where Christians live and to the difficulties they have to face, particularly poverty, wars and terrorism, but equally to various forms of exploitation of the poor, of migrants, women and children. We are called to work together to promote respect for the rights of every human being, created in the image and likeness of God, and to foster economic, social and cultural development. Our theological and ethical traditions can offer a solid basis for a united approach in preaching and action. Above all, we wish to affirm that killing innocent people in God’s name is an offence against him and against human dignity. We must all commit ourselves to the renewed service of humanity and the defence of human life, every human life.

We take profoundly to heart the cause of peace in the Middle East, where our Lord lived, suffered, died and rose again, and where a great multitude of our Christian brethren have lived for centuries. We fervently hope that peace will be re-established in that region, that respectful coexistence will be strengthened between the different peoples that live there, between the Churches and between the different religions found there. To this end, we encourage the establishment of closer relationships between Christians, and of an authentic and honest interreligious dialogue, with a view to combating every form of violence and discrimination.

1. At present, in the face of the great threats to the natural environment, we want to express our concern at the negative consequences for humanity and for the whole of creation which can result from economic and technological progress that does not know its limits. As religious leaders, we consider it one of our duties to encourage and to support all efforts made to protect God’s creation, and to bequeath to future generations a world in which they will be able to live.

2. Finally, our thoughts turn towards all of you, the faithful of our two Churches throughout the world, Bishops, priests, deacons, men and women religious, lay men and women engaged in ecclesial service, and all the baptized. In Christ we greet other Christians, assuring them of our prayers and our openness to dialogue and cooperation. In the words of the Apostle of the Gentiles, we greet all of you: “Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ” (2 Cor 1:2).

At the Phanar, 30 November 2006

Benedict XVI Bartholomew I

尼古拉前执事
Archon

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

The Ecumenical Patriarchate
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Friday, December 1, 2006
Patriarchal Press Officer
Tel. +90 212 5210430
dositheos@superonline.net

Rev. Dr. Frank Marangos
Press Officer
Tel. +90 538 2777495 (cell)
frfrank@goarch.org

Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew Pays Historic Visit to Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Spirit in Istanbul

ISTANBUL Turkey — Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew paid a reciprocal visit to the Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Spirit in Istanbul today where he was welcomed by Pope Benedict XVI.

The two leaders joined in a procession into the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit where the Pope celebrated the Liturgy for the Roman Catholic community of Istanbul. During the Liturgy the Pope and the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew exchanged a kiss of peace and offered a common blessing to the faithful.

Also in attendance for the Roman Catholic Liturgy were the heads of the other Christian Communities of the city.

The Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Spirit, built in 1846 under the direction of Italian architect Julien Hillereau, is located near the Beyoglu District of Istanbul. The statute of one of the Pope's predecessors with the same name, Benedict XV, stands in the courtyard of the cathedral.

http://patriarchate.org/press/articles.php?id=103