Fr Seraphim Rose's alleged homosexuality

This forum is for polite discussion of political and social topics that may be uncomfortable for inquirers and some members. This includes anything politically charged, conspiracy theories, and/or end-times theories. All Forum Rules apply.

Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Re: Fr Seraphim Rose's alleged homosexuality

Post by Pravoslavnik »

The Holy Ones of God become saints through repentance and the acquisition of the Holy Spirit. The proper question about blessed Father Seraphim, in my humble opinion, is not whether or what passions may have warred against him in his youth, but whether he repented of his sins and acquired the Holy Spirit of God through the sacramental life of the Church, much labor in asceticism and good works, and the keeping of the commandments.

JHunt777
Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

Post by JHunt777 »

Cyprian wrote:

I apologize for the digression, but how is it exactly known to us that Fr. Seraphim Rose struggled with homosexual inclinations? Did Fr. Seraphim ever speak publicly or write about it? Or did some person(s) simply make this claim after his repose?

Returning to Cyprian's initial question, it is true that people sometimes make the claim that Fr. Seraphim was a homosexual before his conversion and entrance into monasticism. I think it is perfectly appropriate, then, to ask whether there is any basis for this claim. I have referred to the book by Cathy Scott concerning Fr. Seraphim's early life which I think is the basis of that claim, but I haven't read the book. Has anyone here read the book, and if so, do you think this claim is accurate from what is presented in the book? Of course, if Fr. Seraphim lived a life of repentance in monasticism and is now numbered among the saints (as I believe he is), it doesn't really matter what his sins were that he repented of. However, if there really is no basis for the claim regarding his early life, this would be good to know in order to slow the spread of misinformation by pointing this out whenever the claim is made.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: GOC

Post by Cyprian »

Thank you for the info, Jason. I had not even heard of this book until you mentioned it, and I echo your sentiments regarding the whole matter.

jckstraw72
Jurisdiction: OCA

Post by jckstraw72 »

Cathy Scott printed letters in her book in which Eugene Rose plainly admits his active homosexuality, so unless the letters are fabrications there really isn't any doubt about it. I own and have read the book not too long ago. Once upon a time I came across an interview with Fr. Damascene in which he said that yes, Eugene Rose was a homosexual, but I have not been able to find it again. However, that being said, I love Fr. Seraphim greatly and eagerly await the day of his glorification!

Glory to God for all Things!

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

I think it's distasteful to discuss anything of a personal matter about someone who doesn't discuss it (or write about it) themselves. It's plain slander. And as far as I'm concerned, it's pure speculation and shameful conduct on her part. And the fact that Fr. Seraphim can't respond to it, just shows the evil intentions behind it.

Slander is an evil seed.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

I entirely concur with Joasia. Think of any of the holy fathers of the past 20 centuries. Which of them either ever admitted to or had a life of him published by the Church for the edification of the Faithful that ever divulges such information about her Men of God? I think it is totally naive to think that no harm is being done by this discussion and that it is "prudish" to oppose it. I pray God that this thread gets deleted. This slanderous thread will attract bad events, I shouldn't wonder. Please repent of this. If anyone really reveres Blessed Seraphim Rose, they will have absolutely nothing to do with such details or claims, but rather be abhorred by the slightest suggestion and would consider anyone who felt "edified" by this claim spiritually ill.

Symeon

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Unfortunately, our fallen nature tends to accept negative information about others, even if it's not true and them the damage is done. But, the holy fathers teach us that we need to guard our nous from these thoughts and kill them before they enter our hearts. Scott is not Orthodox and certainly doesn't know anything about how evil these thoughts are. Also, I don't believe that she or the college "friends" could ever understand the spiritual search that Fr. Seraphim was going through.

And I hope others here will understand how important it is to kill the thoughts that suggests them to speculate about Fr. Seraphim.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)