What is Orthodoxy?

Patristic theology, and traditional teachings of Orthodoxy from the Church fathers of apostolic times to the present. All forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.
Julianna

What is Orthodoxy?

Post by Julianna »

This is for you Paradosis as you asked for sources and translations by those other than the Mosses. This is by Archbishop Averky of ROCOR that you have used so I hope you find it credible.

What is Orthodoxy?

By Archbishop Averky
of Syracuse and Holy Trinity Monastery

Originally appeared in Orthodox Life, vol. 26, no. 3 (May-June, 1976), pp. 1-5.

ON THE FIRST SUNDAY of the Great Fast our Church celebrates the triumph of Orthodoxy, the victory of true Christian teaching over all perversions and distortions thereof

Julianna

What is True Orthodoxy?

Post by Julianna »

True Orthodoxy

by ARCHBISHOP AVERKY (+)
of Syracuse and Holy Trinity Monastery

*Reprinted from Orthodox Christian Witness, wherein it appeared translated from the French in La Foi Transmise (Nov. 1968), pp. 19-22.

Few people today know that the Orthodox Church is nothing less than that Church which has preserved untainted the genuine teachings of Jesus Christ, the very teachings delivered to every subsequent generation of believers. These teachings came down the centuries. from the Holy Apostles, explicated and carefully interpreted by their legitimate successors (their disciples and the holy Fathers), traditioned and conserved unaltered by our Eastern Church which is alone able to prove her right to be called "the Orthodox Church."

The divine Founder of the Church, our Lord Jesus Christ, said clearly, "I will build my Church and the gates of Hell will not prevail against Her" (St. Matt xvi, 18). To the Church, He sent the Holy Spirit. The Spirit descended upon the Apostles, the Spirit of Truth (St. John xv, 16f) Who "manifests all things" to Her and guides Her (St. John xvi, 13), protecting Her from error. Indeed, it was to declare this Truth to men that the Lord came into the cosmos, according to His own words (St. John xviii, 31). And Saint Paul confirms this fact in his letter to his pupil, the bishop Timothy, saying that, "the Church of the living God is the ground and pillar of the Truth" (I Tim iii, 15).

Because She is "the ground and pillar of the Truth," "the gates of Hell cannot prevail against Her." It follows, then, that the true Christian Church

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

The problem is, I come here for discussion, not reading texts. Posting a text from time to time is great, but what's the point of coming to a discussion forum if you don't discuss? I'm speaking here as a participant, not as a moderator, but could you please discuss more, and if you want to provide an article, use links more often?

In Christ's Love,

Justin

PS. I'm not ignoring the articles, it's just that I read them quite a while ago already ;)

Julianna

ummm

Post by Julianna »

Since you read the articles before what are your thoughts on them?

I have been making some discussions but I am also posting articles as they speak my position better than I often.

EDIT: I just counted my articles.

17 by Moss and others of 54 articles by me. so only 31% of my articles are others' works that I bring to you. what per centage should I aim for 25%?

Be positive 69% of my posts are original works of prose! :mrgreen:

I love this edit feature!

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I guess I'm just a little confused, how did you post 71 articles (and other comments?) when you only have 54 posts? :) And I comment on articles sometimes, but usually it's easier to comment if someone brings up a topic in particular that they want to discuss. I've found oftentimes that what I found interesting and to be a good thing to discuss most others found very boring. I remember quoting the 2nd article (By Arch. Averky) years ago when I was writing a summary of Orthodoxy, maybe we can start from there and I'll write a post on how I think he gives a good overview for a seeker to read. Will try to do that tomorrow :)

Julianna

Post by Julianna »

I had 54 "posts" and 17 were articles written by others silly. but now I have posted more than 54!

尼古拉前执事
Archon
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Non-Phylitist

Thnaks! /\

Post by 尼古拉前执事 »

Thanks for the articles and thanks for following Justin's suggestions in posting more in your own words as well.