Russian Orthodox demand that Apple change its logo

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOC

Russian Orthodox demand that Apple change its logo

Post by Maria »

Christians from Russia's Orthodox community are demanding that the country's Apple division remove the famous half-bitten apple logo from its products and replace it with a cross, because they find the apple image offensive to their beliefs.
Read more at http://www.christianpost.com/news/russi ... UlIoGHR.99

Some random thoughts about this news story:

It it only Russian World Orthodoxy or is it also True Russian Orthodoxy who are demanding that Apple toss its logo?

I have never thought about this Apple logo before, but Apple is a big temptation for some people who have become addicted to the Internet.

What do the Church Fathers teach about the "apple" in the Garden of Eden? Was it actually a pomegranate or some other fruit? Is a bitten apple somehow a satanic image?

Catholics have a joke: It was not the apple in the tree that caused the fall, but the pear on the ground.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Cyprian
Sr Member
Faith: Orthodox Christianity

Re: Russian Orthodox demand that Apple change its logo

Post by Cyprian »

This strikes me as a bit ludicrous. If these folks in Russia are so concerned with removing offensive symbols, perhaps they ought to start looking at the offensive symbols (such as hexagrams) that adorn their own churches first, before launching a crusade against the secular world.

Commodianus (3rd c.), Ss. Augustine, Pope Gregory I, and Blessed Theophylact are a few that mention an apple being the forbidden fruit.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

What about the statues of Lenin and Stalin? Are they still up? Those would be the biggest offenses and slap in the face of Orthodoxy in Russia.

From what I've read, it was a fig tree, hence the fig leaves to cover themselves. They grabbed the first thing in their reach.

I don't see a satanic link to the apple unless you consider the Big Apple. But, that's based on the misconceived idea that the "tree" was an apple tree.

but the pear on the ground

. Pear, pair...very punny. But, no laughing matter. We are living the result of their choice.

that mention an apple being the forbidden fruit.

Could be or not. We would need the Hebrew translation. That will be a mystery to us until the day we die. Then we will know all the facts.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. (Ps. 50)

Barbara
Protoposter

Post by Barbara »

I thought that was amusing, too, about the "pear on the ground".
Especially since my neighbors have the most unbelievably good crop on their
Anjou pear tree this year, so that a pear drops to the ground every minute, it seems !

So the choice of fruit and its location was certainly a propos for me!

I had never heard that expression !

Myself, I avoid EVERY EVERY manifestation of apples, because of this connection.
Apples always symbolize trials, testing - even in Greek mythology, there was the myth
of Atalanta picking up the apples off the ground during a foot race, I believe.

Or WORSE : evil temptation.

So why not avoid such things in toto ?

I think the Russians are RIGHT !
It's great they are sensitive to this most unpleasant logo for a computer company.
I didn't read the article, I am basing on Maria's sentence summarizing the protest.

Think me crazy, but adding substance to that accusation is the fact that
the picture promoted of the company's founder - I hate to even say his name -! -
is very demonic. I first saw it when news articles covered his memorial service
in the Memorial Church at Stanford. This picture was draped across the outside of the church,
I think.
Then it was used ever after.

He looks like a devil, no doubt about it !

So I refuse to have anything to do with any product of his company, or even read about him.

From what was written about his relationship with his father, he sounded like the most cold,
heartless "human". Maybe a robot in there somewhere, but no beating heart, clearly !

While this attitude is going to inspire derision maybe here, and certainly would in most places
in this country, I applaud the Russians in this particular regard for being sensitive to
the logo which seems to project a sales message of seductiveness.
"Buy the apple and you will become attractive".

For this same reason and because i disbelieve in use of cell phones unless emergencies arise,
I would NEVER look at purchasing any cell phone of apple's [or any other companies cell phone]\
There might be a separate discussion on cell phones somewhere already, but if not
maybe it could be discussed on an upcoming thread?

jgress
Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

Post by jgress »

Don't the Russians bless apples on the Transfiguration?

Maria
Archon
Faith: True Orthodox Christian

Post by Maria »

jgress wrote:

Don't the Russians bless apples on the Transfiguration?

I do not think that apples are in season in August.
They do not ripen until late September or early-October.

Peaches, grapes, plums, cherries, nectarines, and apricots are the seasonal fruits in August.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.

Matthew
Protoposter

Post by Matthew »

Unrelated, but for mere interest value, apparently St Savvas the Sanctified (4th C., St. Savva's Monastery, near Jerusalem) made it a rule in the monastery there not to eat apples as a memorial of the fall of Adam and Eve.