Who Was Your Favorite 4th Century Saint?

An online Synaxaristes including martyrologies and hagiographies of the lives of the Orthodox Church's saints. All Forum Rules apply. No polemics. No heated discussions. No name-calling.

Who was your favorite saint of the 4th century?

Alexander of Alexandria

No votes

Athanasius of Alexandria

10%

Cyril of Jerusalem

No votes

Ambrose of Milan

5%

Methodius of Antioch

No votes

Basil of Caesarea

24%

Gregory the Theologian

10%

John Chrysostom

29%

Gregory of Nyssa

No votes

Ephraim the Syrian

19%

Emperor Constantine

5%

Emperor Theodosius

No votes

Total votes: 21

Apologist
Jr Member

Post by Apologist »

I think that the rest should get votes too! All saints are equally great. The Theotokos is the only exception.

Justin Kissel

Post by Justin Kissel »

I agree that all saints are great, but I don't think they are all equal. Leastwise, we would have complete liturgical chaos if there were not some sort of hierarchy or classification. This is not to say that I think it is good for people to debate who is greatest, but just that I don't think we can put them all on the same level. Privately we can give whatever degree of veneration we want to individual saints (or an equal amount to all I guess), but corporately I think we need (and indeed have) something a bit more hierarchical.

joasia
Protoposter
Jurisdiction: RTOC

Post by joasia »

Favorite saints can also be based on how their writings affect us or how they help us in our struggles. It's all really based on personal feelings. There's no right or wrong answer.

Apologist
Jr Member

Post by Apologist »

Well, I'm not voting. :roll:
But, Justin, Emperor Theodosius is not a saint! He was just a pious emperor, with many sins...

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Apologist wrote:

Well, I'm not voting. :roll:
But, Justin, Emperor Theodosius is not a saint! He was just a pious emperor, with many sins...

So was Saint Constantine!

Ephraem
Jr Member

Post by Ephraem »

Were that I was well familiar with all those saints!! Alas, I'm still learning these pillars.

Holy God pleaser St. Ephraim is my patron saint. What initially drew me to St. Ephraim was his varied works: his ascetic spirit, his service as a deacon, his varied hymns and other writings (I especially appreciate his Spiritual Psalter), and his work with the sick and suffering and his mediating the distribution of weath to the needy. Kind of touched all the bases, as it were.

I also thank God for the prayers of Holy God pleaser St. Moses the Black, another great fourth century icon of Christ.

Ephraem
~He who seeth his own sins, seeth not the sins of others.

Apologitis

Post by Apologitis »

I think this poll is very sinful. I'm not judging anyone. I myself used to deny (!) the sainthood of saints such as Cyril of Alexandria, Constantine the Great, Lot the Righteous etc because I had belived the lies uttered against them. I have done (and do) much worse thing than anyone. Therefore I MUST use my evil experiences for my brothers' and sisters' in Christ edification. Saints please forgive us and pray to God for us!