Fornication

savva26

Fornication

Post by savva26 »

'To those who would say that they were tormented by the passion of fornication, the Elder would say, "Death, death, death! The coffin, the shovel, the spade, the pickax... St Basil the Great says, 'When you see the most beautiful woman in the world, go with your mind to her grave a few days after she has died. Such a terrible odor and putrid flow comes from her body, such that all the latrines in the world don't smell as bad. Behold what you were lusting after'"

From the book, Shepherd of Souls: The Life and Teachings of Elder Cleopa

OrthodoxyOrDeath

Post by OrthodoxyOrDeath »

I remember (possibly) another saint saying imagine the person you lust for as something more than just the skin; in other words, remove the skin and visualize the muscle and raw flesh...

This may be where the phrase "beauty is only skin deep" comes from. :)

Justin

Post by Justin »

Man, those are great. It's a good reflection to make when you're drawn to something licentious.

Nektarios
Jr Member

Post by Nektarios »

Fornication will get you no communion for at least 40 days. :cry:

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Nektarios wrote:

Fornication will get you no communion for at least 40 days. :cry:

That is dependant on how strict will be the Elder on the repentant. Hey, going to the army in the defending your country, Saint Basil rules that, you must commune for at least 5 years! And in actual war, where you have killed, is 10 years! My, my, Saint Basil was quite strict eh? Anyways, these rules are depending on this person's repentance. A person can have 40 days without communing, but can start again. It's a matter of how then when.

Nektarios
Jr Member

Post by Nektarios »

I hope so...........

romiosini

Post by romiosini »

Nektarios wrote:

I hope so...........

Remember Saint Basil wasn't antiwar for nothing. Living in the Caves of Pontus and being witness to war, he is first hand able to judge on how it should be treated with any spiritual case.