Building a chapel/church/oratory

Kybihetz21

Building a chapel/church/oratory

Post by Kybihetz21 »

Brethren:

Please forgive me if this is not the right place to ask this question/start this topic. I would like to hear some feedback and have some practical tips on the construction/set up of a chapel/small church (both within an existing building/structure - using a room for this purpose - and on its own, i.e. as a separate building). I will also appreciate any information regarding the purchase/acquisition of any/all church furnishings (iconostasis, altar table, oblation table, etc.), icons, adornments (lampadki/oil lamps, cupola, etc.) and any other necessary items for a modicum price if possible.

Thanks for everything.

Miguel

Kybihetz21

Re: Building a chapel/church/oratory

Post by Kybihetz21 »

Guess nobody reads this forum anymore ... :cry:

Catherine5

Post by Catherine5 »

I saw that right away. Excellent questions!
But I have no ideas as to those costs;
I was waiting for
answers,
as well

Kybihetz21

Post by Kybihetz21 »

Just trying to “refresh” this question … I m sure some of you have had these questions before and have solved them … by the way, does anyone know where could I purchase a “Greek style” Golgotha/crucifixion scene (the one where you can take down the icon of Christ/corpus)? I know of a place where they sell the corpus/soma, but in that case I will have to separately purchase/make the cross. Any ideas?

Pravoslavnik
Sr Member
Jurisdiction: ROCOR- A

Post by Pravoslavnik »

Kybihetz,

Code: Select all

There is a ROCOR (?MP) priest in DeQueen, Arkansas, Father George Brooks, who is a carpenter.  He makes items of Orthodox furniture for sale, and-- as I recall from his website-- he also built the parish church building, All Saints of America, where he serves.  I bought a hand crafted Orthodox analogion from him about two years ago.  You may want to contact Father George about these questions. 

Here is his St. Mark's Work Shop website:

http://www.stmarksworkshop.com/index.html

Kybihetz21

Post by Kybihetz21 »

Thank you for the information.

Yes, I believe he is part of the MP at this moment, but, the fact that he doesn’t post the prices on his site (have seen it before), makes me wonder how “economical” they will be …

Martha
Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOC-Archbishop Chrysostomos II

Post by Martha »

We have several mission churches in our diocese. Some use a room converted to a church and I think others may have built small separate room just for church. You might want to check the GOC website and/or the websites of the mission churches. Perhaps one of the priests can offer some suggestions.

http://www.thegreekorthodoxchurch.com/

Click "Directory" on the left side and look for the "Missions in formation" You will see websites and email addresses for several.

In Christ,
Martha